Daily Lucky Numbers:

Alerts/email issue

Started by Ninja ZX-10RR, November 10, 2020, 12:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja ZX-10RR

I'm not getting alerts for topics at all. I've set it to email me whenever a new reply to the 2.3.8 thread is posted, never received one. I did try to PM myself and that one worked though so that's... Odd.
I'll try to set up notifications and emails for this one as well and see what happens but I doubt it will be any different...

Chen Zhen

The mail server here at WebDev appears to work just fine.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Still no e-mail for this reply either :-\

Chen Zhen

Perhaps it's due to differences in the profile settings on the SMF 2.1 branch?

I went into your profile and enabled email & alerts for posts (they were disabled in your profile).
All that does is allow the sub-menu to pop up for you when you're in a topic.
Now you can use that menu to tell it to send you an email & alert for a topic.

Look at the bottom right of the last post in this thread.. it will likely say No Emails or Alerts (something like that).
You click on that button and options will appear allowing you to tell it to send you the alerts/emails.

Test it out and then if it works go back to your profile notification settings & adjust it if you don't want alerts (just check mark the emails if that's all you want as a notification).

Ninja ZX-10RR

Then most likely that was the issue... Silly though, I manually set them to work through the topic itself, and after you changed it they reverted to "Don't receive" within the topic. Now I changed it back to receive emails and alerts again, I'll let you know when you reply again.
Really dislike 2.1 system already ;D

Chen Zhen

I like many of the changes in SMF 2.1 but some behavior I do not fancy.

Ninja ZX-10RR

In a topic you are watching, a reply has been posted by Chen Zhen.

View the reply at: https://web-develop.ca/index.php?topic=617.new#new

It worked :D

Also interesting small security issue, the email used your username rather than the display name.

Chen Zhen

Really?

If that is not a setting then it should be reported.
I will look into it.. thanks.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Yeah, I altered it while replying but it uses the username. Let me know whether it's some kind of setting, otherwise I'll file a mild security report over at the main site :)
Also, thanks a lot for the help! And sorry for being bad at this new interface I guess, ahah ;D

Chen Zhen

The first sentence should be using the display name and not the name I use to log into the site.
Imo this should be reported.

Ninja ZX-10RR