Daily Lucky Numbers:

Shoutbox issues

Started by Oldiesmann, November 11, 2018, 03:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

Working on setting up a test site to show to members of a site I'll be upgrading soon (also to give me a chance to test things a bit more).

I'm running into a couple of issues with the shoutbox though:

Leaving auto-refresh at 0 seems to make it constantly refresh (instead of disabling it)
The shoutbox is too tall despite the settings being the same as they are on the current site (SMF 2.0.15 and SP 2.3.6).

Current site:
[attach name=sp.png type=image/png]324[/attach]

Test site:
[attach name=ep.png type=image/png]326[/attach]

Any suggestions?

Also it would be best to set the column for refresh to something other than a signed tinyint, as that makes the max possible refresh value 127 (and there's no need to make it signed as negative numbers don't make sense in this context). Something like smallint would be better (allowing for things like 5-minute or even one-hour auto refresh times).

Chen Zhen

The shoutbox uses the same database & most of the same admin settings but has actually been changed quite a bit.
I'll look at 0 seconds to disable the refresh.
The db size is not going to make much difference, I will not bother to change that.

Oldiesmann

Any idea on the weird layout issue?

Oldiesmann

Did some digging and figured out the issue. The "message_box" class is forcing the main div to be 200px high regardless of what you set the shoutbox height to...

.shout_box .message_box {
   background: #FFFFFF;
   height: 200px;
   overflow:auto;
   border: 1px solid #CCC;
}

Removing the "height: 200px" part makes it behave the way I expect it to.

Chen Zhen

My apologies, I did not have time to look until now.
Yes that was overlooked and will be fixed with the next version.
Thanks.

Although I am wondering if I should change it to a percentage due to possible mobile usage.

Oldiesmann

It seems to work fine with no height specified in that class on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9). Might be good to specify a max-height for mobile devices maybe.

Skhilled

Hey OldiesMann! How's it going? :)