Daily Lucky Numbers:
13
15
25
31
43
44

Trying to locate the Shoutbox display settings?

Started by Grammy, May 18, 2021, 05:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammy

Hi!  I've attached a screenshot of what the Edit Block page looks like for the Shoutbox.  I'm hoping to only have the Shoutbox visible inside the forum, but not on the front (home) page.  But I can't seem to find a display field (other than the Desktop/Mobile pulldown) and, of course, the other display pulldown here is just for the Shoutbox choice. 

Can you please advise? 

This is a brand new 2.1RC3, downloaded from Github.  My only other mods are PrettyURLs and Notepad.  My forum has no errors.

Thank you.   :)

ShoutboxBlock.jpg


Grammy

I just tried today to create a new block (rather than edit an existing one) and there is one other display pull-down that appears during the creation of the block but it's only for deciding the duration of time it will be seen.  I'm still looking for the option to decide where blocks will be seen.  Thanks so much. 

Grammy

I was trying to talk our new admin into SimplePortal (that's how I found EhPortal).  But I guess we'll have to go with something else. 

I don't mean for this to sound unkind and I'm sorry if it does...  but I get the feeling that we'd be "on our own" if we choose EhPortal.

My question was a simple one.   :(

Thanks anyway.

Ronald

May 19, 2021, 08:13:07 PM #3 Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 08:18:59 PM by Ronald
Quote from: Grammy on May 19, 2021, 05:28:54 PMI was trying to talk our new admin into SimplePortal (that's how I found EhPortal).  But I guess we'll have to go with something else. 

I don't mean for this to sound unkind and I'm sorry if it does...  but I get the feeling that we'd be "on our own" if we choose EhPortal.

My question was a simple one.  :(

Thanks anyway.

It is a great Portal, but Chen has been ill lately, he does come around, so do not get the impression, you'll be alone and no answers.

Now I run smf 2.0.18 with Simple Portal. Almost the same. I'd say go to the Portal settings and look for Configurations, click on and when it opens look for General Settings, then put the Portal Mode in "Integration" this stops the shout box from appearing on the portal page, but will show on every page of the forum.

I hope this helps you Grammy. Also welcome to the forum, nice to have you with us.
Ron.

Couple of Images.
portal.png
portal_01.png

Grammy

Quote from: Ronald on May 19, 2021, 08:13:07 PMIt is a great Portal, but Chen has been ill lately, he does come around, so do not get the impression, you'll be alone and no answers.

Now I run smf 2.0.18 with Simple Portal. Almost the same. I'd say go to the Portal settings and look for Configurations, click on and when it opens look for General Settings, then put the Portal Mode in "Integration" this stops the shout box from appearing on the portal page, but will show on every page of the forum.

I hope this helps you Grammy. Also welcome to the forum, nice to have you with us.
Ron.



Hi, Ron, and thank you so much for helping!  I'm so sorry to hear that Chen has been ill and I hope that he'll recover quickly. 

I did change the setting to Integration, but when I did, I lost the "front page" (Home) of the forum that they worked so hard on, with their images, etc.  So I guess I have to leave that setting as Front Page.  I guess I wish Webdev made a standalone shoutbox.  None of the ones at SMF are ported to 2.1RC3 and even if I edited the files, I think they've made some database changes in 2.1, so I would expect a lot of errors.

Thank you so much, again, for taking the time to help.  I really appreciate it.  :)

Ronald

This may work, worth a try, It worked for me on my forum.

In the ACP got to the Portal, click on Blocks, now edit (modify) the Shout Box, while in there look for Display Options, now put a check mark in Advanced Options, while this page is open click on Select Actions, now put a check mark in Forum, or any other locations you wish to see the Shout Box, next click on Select Options, put a check mark in the boxes you wish the Shout Box to display. Now the Shout Box will display on the selections you have selected.

See images.
portal_01.png
portal_02.png
portal_03.png

vince


Grammy

Quote from: Ronald on May 20, 2021, 10:02:33 AMThis may work, worth a try, It worked for me on my forum.

In the ACP got to the Portal, click on Blocks, now edit (modify) the Shout Box, while in there look for Display Options, now put a check mark in Advanced Options, while this page is open click on Select Actions, now put a check mark in Forum, or any other locations you wish to see the Shout Box, next click on Select Options, put a check mark in the boxes you wish the Shout Box to display. Now the Shout Box will display on the selections you have selected.

Quote from: vince on May 20, 2021, 11:39:55 AM+1 ronald lol beat me to it :P

Well, that's just it, guys...  if you look at my screenshots, there are no display options, other than choosing which shoutbox I want to use and "Mobile/Desktop".  Do you see what I mean?  When I click "Edit" on the shoutbox block, that's all that appears, what's in my screenshots.  It's very odd.

Thank you both so much.  :)

Grammy

I just wanted to stop back by and let you guys know that I've sorted out why my block's Display area wasn't appearing (because someone else may wander by with the same issue). 

In order for the Display area to appear, it seems you MUST have the block setting "Display Blocks In Forum" checked.  (That seems obvious but when you're just feeling your way around and you already know that you don't want all those blocks crowding your forum, you may not check that field, as I didn't.)  Once you check that, the Display area will appear in your blocks settings. It will not, if that setting is left unchecked.

You can choose all the places you do NOT want the blocks to appear.  So, all in all, I think I have this sorted.  Best wishes to Chen and the hope for a speedy recovery.

Thanks Ron and Vince!   :)

Grammy

No "Mark as Solved" option or CheckMark in the Message icon.  That would be good in a place like this.

Solved.   ;)

Ronald

Quote from: Grammy on May 21, 2021, 09:58:23 AMI just wanted to stop back by and let you guys know that I've sorted out why my block's Display area wasn't appearing (because someone else may wander by with the same issue). 

In order for the Display area to appear, it seems you MUST have the block setting "Display Blocks In Forum" checked.  (That seems obvious but when you're just feeling your way around and you already know that you don't want all those blocks crowding your forum, you may not check that field, as I didn't.)  Once you check that, the Display area will appear in your blocks settings. It will not, if that setting is left unchecked.

You can choose all the places you do NOT want the blocks to appear.  So, all in all, I think I have this sorted.  Best wishes to Chen and the hope for a speedy recovery.

Thanks Ron and Vince!   :)

I just installed a RC3 board, and the portal and shout box, I figure it out and have the shout box on the forum only.

Great that you worked it out..
Ron.

Grammy

Quote from: Ronald on May 21, 2021, 10:04:08 AMI just installed a RC3 board, and the portal and shout box, I figure it out and have the shout box on the forum only.

Great that you worked it out..
Ron.

New problem, now....  the shoutbox shows in the forum but it doesn't actually work.  By that, I mean, I can type a message and hit enter and the little progress circle thingy spins...  but no message ever appears when it stops.  Bummer.   ???

Grammy

(I don't seem to be able to modify my last post)

The shout shows up in "History"....  just not in the shoutbox.

Grammy

Now, Ron, this is weird...  it wouldn't show ANY text at all....  so I finally just clicked on a Smiley and hit return.... and adding a Smiley suddenly made ALL the text show up at once.  What in the world??  Well, I'm sorry to have turned all this into a book.  But it doesn't let me modify my messages here, I just have to hit Reply to add anything.  Must be a post-count thing.  Anyway...  Thanks again for all your help earlier; you guys are great.

Skhilled

Glad you've got most of it solved, Grammy. :)

Remember, that RC3 is still a beta and has bugs. So, any mods may also have bugs on their own or because of the SMF bugs. It's off to a good start but not ready for prime time, imo. :(