Daily Lucky Numbers:

Arcade has gone

Started by Dave, August 06, 2022, 05:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

It all started so well. I transferred the site files to the new host and uploaded the games etc and most of it was working.

Then earlier today suddenly some games in the arcade decided to stop scoring and displaying 'Oops, looks like the page is lost at the endsubmit' which is the hosts 403 error.

Then Ruffle decided to stop working and a game, Tiretoss, that I tested and got a score on would not work having a Ruffle error screen where the game should be.

I then checked that all the hooks were there, which they were, then I thought I'd update Ruffle from the Github as the link to your server timed out. The update worked ok but the Tiretoss would still not play.

So my last resort was to disable the arcade in it's settings and thought I'd have a look tomorrow. But I cannot leave it so I uninstalled Arcade via the Package manager deleted the file and then checked all the templates it writes to so make sure all traces of it were gone.

They were all gone, all the hooks had been removed also.

So I then reinstalled the Arcade with the latest version and although it shows in the package manager as installed I cannot see it in Admin. The 12 hooks have been installed and all the folders associated with it are there to but nothing can be seen in admin.

It's late here so I'm going to bed

So the question is what do you think the issue might be?

regards
If you want play quizzes or games click below

Listen to Quizland radio here

Chen Zhen

There are several things that can cause issues as you describe.

• Mod-Security should be disabled
  • Forum paths & directories should be checked/adjusted
  • Arcade paths & directories should be checked/adjusted
  • Forum cache settings may need to be adjusted
  • Any improper JavaScript (showing errors in the console) from other sources may cause conflicts
  • Server config file may be necessary (ensure it exists after creation): Admin -> Arcade Maintenance -> Server Config
  • Improper SSL (HTTPS) settings
  • Improperly configured server config file ( ie. .htaccess ) in your main forum directory
  • forum resides in a sub-directory that may need a server config file in the parent directory

There's also another type of cache that people sometimes install for the server itself but it's name slips my mind at the moment. I don't think you have that installed though because it causes problems with SMF itself just like Mod-Security.

Dave

Quote from: Chen Zhen on August 06, 2022, 11:04:43 PMThere are several things that can cause issues as you describe.

• Any improper JavaScript (showing errors in the console) from other sources may cause conflicts
    • Server config file may be necessary (ensure it exists after creation): Admin -> Arcade Maintenance -> Server Config
    • Improperly configured server config file ( ie. .htaccess ) in your main forum directory
    • forum resides in a sub-directory that may need a server config file in the parent directory

There's also another type of cache that people sometimes install for the server itself but it's name slips my mind at the moment. I don't think you have that installed though because it causes problems with SMF itself just like Mod-Security.

Now disabled though .htaccess
    Checked with repair settings. The only issues here were change cookie and Queryless URLs: was on now it's off. All other paths correct
    All correct
    All correct
    None evident
    Cannot be seen
    All correct
    This was causing the scoring issue but not the arcade gone one
    AFAIK forum not is sub directory

I looked at all of those and as you can see there was very little wrong. However I have managed to get the arcade back and to do that I went to phpmyadmin and looked at my settings table. There towards the end is a variable 'arcadeEnabled' which when I arrived was on '0' after changing that to '1' miraculously the arcade appeared.

Now it seems to me that this must be an error with the arcade coding as surely even if the arcade was disabled in admin so it can't be seen on the site, it should still be seen in admin.

I have now played the 'Tire Toss' game and it scores OK so ruffle is working OK. It's probably the mod_security or the .htaccess file you mentioned that messed it up in the first place.

Thanks for the check list of what to search for. I'll leave the other bit to you ;)

You see below the screenshots I took along the way

[/list]

Chen Zhen

Thanks for letting me know about the admin problem which is definitely a bad bug.
    It should be fixed with the current available version 2.6.9.4.

Chen Zhen

I'm going to use that list in a sticky so other people can troubleshoot.

Dave

Dave

There was a glitch this morning with Ruffle, I updated it from the Ruffle site and now it seems to be working. But I can't honestly say it was anything to do with the Arcade itself though as it was working with Firefox,Edge and Chrome but not with Brave.

Chen Zhen

If an up to date copy of Ruffle causes problems you can always revert to an older build.
    To do this you can use the manual upload option while checking the "Force Overwrite" box.

The Ruffle website has 3 older versions available & there are also a few older versions in WebDev's download archive section.

Dave